A garbage bag tag must be placed on each bag put out to the curbside for garbage pickup in the city of Quinte West. The cost is $3.00 per bag tag. The maximum number of bags per week is four, and each bag must not weigh over 40 lbs. All waste should be placed at the curbside the night before collection or by 7 a.m. the morning of collection.
The bag tag should be looped around the neck of the bag so that it meets at the end, producing a little “flag.” The City of Quinte West’s name should be displayed on one side, and the bag tag number on the other side. Do not wrap the tag around the top of the bag numerous times or place it as a long strip down the side of the bag; during the winter, the tags can easily fall off due to the cold temperatures.
Garbage containers should be reusable galvanized metal or plastic, with handles and not more than 77 litres or 40 lbs in weight. The bag tag should not be placed on the container but on the top bag in the container so that it is visible to the collector when he removes the lid.
Bag Tags - FAQ
The cost per bag tag is $3.
The price increase came into effect on April 6, 2023.
The cost per bag tag was previously $2.50 per tag.
Quinte West Council approved the price increase during the March 22, 2023 special budget meeting. An increase in the price of bag tags will generate approximately $200,000 in additional revenue, which will help offset the increasing cost of waste collection.
In the fall of 2022, the City’s previous purple bag tags were replaced by the current orange bag tags, which provides increased visibility for collection. The price increase aligns with the approved 2023 budget, which was approved by Quinte West Council on March 22, 2023.
Quinte West’s annual total cost for garbage, recycling and organics collection and disposal is $3.5 million. Your property taxes pay 40% for a total of $1.4 million of the above cost. The rest comes from the purchase of garbage bag tags.
The revenue from the sale of bag tags offsets the cost of providing curbside garbage and organics collection and garbage and organics disposal costs which are a part of the City’s overall Waste Management Program.
Retail locations may apply a surcharge of up to 20 cents, for a total of $3.20 per tag. The city allows vendors to recover the costs associated with selling tags on the City’s behalf. Tags purchased from Quinte West City Hall, the Frankford Municipal Office or online are sold for $3.00.
Each bag must not weigh more than 40 lb. This has not changed.
Residents may put up to four (4) garbage bags curbside each week. Each bag needs a tag to be collected. This has not changed.
The new fee will apply to orange City of Quinte West bag tags purchased on and after April 6, 2023. If you already have orange bag tags, they will be accepted. Old purple bag tags, which were phased out at the end of 2022, are no longer accepted or exchanged for orange tags.
You can buy bag tags online (minimum online purchase of 10) or in person at Quinte West City Hall, Frankford Municipal Office and participating retailers throughout Quinte West. For a full list of retail locations, or to buy your tags online, visit quintewest.ca/bagtags.
You can drop it off at the Waste Management Transfer Station at 26 Chester Rd. in Trenton. Fees apply.
Waste Management Transfer Station hours:
- Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Open Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. starting May 1
If you dispose of garbage in a ditch you could face a fine.
The City’s waste collection contractor will still pick up any bags that have a purple Quinte West bag tag until the end of 2023.
Where can I purchase garbage bag tags in-person?
In-person at city hall or Frankford municipal office
During business hours: visit the revenue services counter at city hall or the customer service counter at the Frankford municipal office. Cash, cheque and debit are accepted.
In-person at community businesses:
- Metro, 53 Quinte St., Trenton
- Front Street Variety, 442 Front St., Trenton
- Riverside Convenience, 210 Front St., Trenton
- Esso Gas Bar & Car Wash, 28 Monogram Pl., Trenton
- Sidney Market, 423 Sidney St., Trenton
- Mac’s Convenience Store, 118 Byron St., Trenton
- Kim’s Variety, 80 Byron St., Trenton
- Smylies’s Independent, 293 Dundas St. E., Trenton
- Canadian Tire, 285 Dundas St. E, Trenton
- Canex, RCAF Road, Trenton
- Trenton Military Family Resource Centre, 50 Rivers Dr. E, Trenton
- Kenron Residents Assoc, 3A EastviewBlvd., Kenron
- Ultramar, 1560 Old Hwy 2, Bayside
- Bayside Convenience, 743 Old Hwy 2, Trenton
- New Way Convenience Store, 436 Dundas St. W, Trenton
- Sidney Inn, 265 Moira St. W, Belleville
- Foxboro Foodland, 54 Frankford Rd., Foxboro
- East Front Esso, 100E Front St., Stirling
- R & S Home Hardware Stirling 9A Tuftsville Rd., Stirling
- Pro-One Stop, Stirling 208 North St., Stirling
- Shell, 115 Belleville Rd., Stirling
- Wooler Convenience, 2817 County Rd. 40, Wooler
- Freeflow Petroleum Wooler 2650 County Rd. 40, Wooler
- West End Convenience, West End Plaza, Dundas St. W, Trenton
- Freeflow Gas Bar 22153 Loyalist Pkwy., Carrying Place
- Lucky Plus 22530 Carrying Pl.
- Korner Store 195 Dundas St. W., Trenton
- Shell Gas Station 455 Dundas St. W, Belleville
- Circle K, 17 Trent St. N, Frankford
- Frankford Laundromat & Variety Store, 31 Mill St., Frankford
- Rose Home Hardware, 7 Trent St. N, Frankford
- Busy Bee Convenience, 391 Dundas St. W, Trenton
- Wooler Mart, 944 A County Rd. 40, Trenton