If you have incurred costs or damages for which you believe the city may be responsible, follow the process outlined below to consider your claim. In some cases, you are required to place the city on notice within 10 days of the accident.
According to the Municipal Act, we must receive notification in writing.
We suggest that in cases of damage, you contact your insurance company or broker. If the insurer believes the City is responsible, they may seek compensation on your behalf, as stipulated in your insurance policy.
Filing a claim:
- Complete the insurance claim form. Please ensure it contains the following information of the person making a claim:
- Claimant’s full name, mailing address, email, and telephone number
- Contact name, mailing address, email, and telephone number of the person submitting the claim (if different from above).
- Name, address and telephone number (and email address) of any witness.
- Date and approximate time of the accident/incident, and exact location (address or closest intersection or 911 number)
- Brief description of what happened
- Type of damage or injury, please include photo’s if available
- Estimates or invoices as a result of the occurrence
- Original signature of the person making the claim
- You may also submit your claim in writing to email@example.com or in person at the customer service counter, the second floor at City Hall. Your claim must include the information listed above.
Your claim will be acknowledged upon receipt; if warranted, an investigation will commence. You may be contacted by staff or the city’s insurance adjuster for clarification or further information.
All claims are subject to the same investigation process, and the timeline to carry out the investigations varies.
We do not provide compensation for your costs unless you provide evidence that the City committed a negligent act or omission, which resulted in the injury or damage.
Like most Canadian municipalities, we only compensate when we are legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach reduces the costs for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the fee of these claims.
This claims process does not mean the City of Quinte West is accepting liability for your claim, nor does it waive any legal rights that the City of Quinte West may rely on in matters such as these.