Building permits

Find out what type of building projects require a permit, how to apply and pay, and how long the process takes.

On-site sewage/septic

All new, repair, replacement or alteration to on-site sewage systems in the city of Quinte West are subject to permits and inspection.


A permit is required for a deck that is attached to another structure, has a roof or is over 10m2 (108 sq. ft) and more than 600mm (2 feet) above grade.

Sign applications

A sign permit is your legal authority to erect a sign. Most signs erected in Quinte West require a sign permit prior to erecting the sign.

Backflow protection

A permit is required whenever a backflow device is to be installed or altered.

Renovations + basements

Permits are required if you add bedrooms, alter walls, or change plumbing – including completing rough-ins or creating a secondary dwelling unit.

New homes + additions

Permits are required for new homes or additions. Additional planning or engineering approval may be needed.


Permits are required to destroy a building or part of one, including interior demolitions.


Permits are required for individuals/groups of tents larger than 60m2, attached to a building, or assembled close to other buildings.

Last Updated: 3 years ago

What Are You Looking For?

You can use the smart search field below to find anything on the site from pages, events, documents and more. Simply start typing and the search will suggest possible results for you.