Renovations + basements

Permits are required if you add bedrooms, alter walls, or change plumbing – including completing rough-ins or creating a secondary dwelling unit.

Interior renovations that require a building permit include:

  • Finishing an unfinished space in a home, such as a basement.
  • Adding or removing walls.
  • Material changes to alter the insulation type of value of walls.
  • Structural changes.
  • Addition or change of plumbing, including the installation of a fixture where a rough-in already exists.
  • Change of current use.
  • Creating a secondary dwelling unit.
  • Changing a room into a bedroom. 


You need two sets of drawings and the following forms to make an application:


Qualified individuals who may design a renovation or finished basement: 

  • An architect, professional engineer or qualified designer with a Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) is permitted to take responsibility for the design.
  • The homeowner is permitted to prepare and take legal responsibility for the design of renovations to their home or basement, provided they understand and are willing to take responsibility for the Ontario Building Code’s applicable requirements and are capable of preparing plans sufficient to communicate the intent of the building project and scope of work proposed to be undertaken.

Drawings you submit must include: 

  • A clear description of existing and proposed work.
  • Key plans of remaining floors in the house showing each room’s use.
  • Floor plans with room names and complete dimensions.
  • Location of existing and proposed plumbing fixtures and any changes to the location of plumbing fixtures.
  • Stair location with handrail.
  • Furnace/utility equipment location.
  • Exterior and interior wall construction details, clearly identifying existing and proposed materials. 
  • Window and door size and operation.
  • Lintel Information.
  • Exterior wall section drawing where egress window is proposed under Ontario Building Code section
  • Window wells.
  • New wall, post and beam construction or relocation.
  • Ceiling heights.
  • Location and clear height of bulkheads, beams and ductwork.
  • Location of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. 
  • Location of existing and proposed supply air registers.
  • Existing and proposed means of egress.
A septic review is required if the building is on an existing septic system and adding bedrooms or additional plumbing fixtures. More information can be found on our on-site sewage page.

Application process:

Before submission, ensure that all necessary and applicable permissions and approvals are met.

A complete application must be submitted with all the required forms, documents and applicable drawings. Additional costs such as development charges and parkland will be calculated at the time of application and invoice at permit issue. 

Bring the application and two copies of the required documentation to the Customer Service Counter located on the second floor of City Hall. We’re open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm., Monday to Friday.

We accept cash, debit, or cheque (payable to the City of Quinte West).

After speaking with a representative from building services to determine the permit and development costs, send the application and two copies of the required documentation and a cheque payable to the City of Quinte West to:

City of Quinte West
Building Services
7 Creswell Dr.
PO Box 490
Trenton, ON  K8V 5R6

Submit payment:

  • By mail – send a cheque payable to the City of Quinte West to:

City of Quinte West
Building Services
7 Creswell Dr.
PO Box 490
Trenton, ON  K8V 5R6

Call 613-392-2841, ext. 4904 or email to book an inspection. Inspections cannot be booked through your inspector. 

Provide the following information:

  • Address
  • Permit number
  • Contact information
  • Preferred date of inspection (minimum two business days notice) 
  • Preference of a.m. or p.m. (note that we may not be able to accommodate each requested time of day)

Please note that confirmation will not be provided unless requested.

Other contacts:

The Electrical Safety Authority handles electrical permits.

Last Updated: 3 months ago

What Are You Looking For?

You can use the smart search field below to find anything on the site from pages, events, documents and more. Simply start typing and the search will suggest possible results for you.