Marriages + oaths

Apply for a marriage licence, book a private ceremony at Trent Port Marina, or make a declaration or oath.

You can get a marriage license at Quinte West City Hall or book a private ceremony at Trent Port Marina. See below for application, fee and location details. Find information on the commission of oaths.  

Marriage licenses

We issue licenses for people getting married in Ontario. A license is valid anywhere in the province for 90 days. Visit the Ontario website for full marriage regulations and order your marriage certificate.

PLEASE NOTE: Marriage licenses are issued by appointment only. Please read the information on how to apply below.

  1. Complete, print, and sign the online marriage licence application. Both applicants must sign the application.
  2. Email completed application and supporting documents (as listed below) to You can expect a response within 3 business days.
  3. Once an appointment has been confirmed, bring all necessary documents for both parties to city hall on the day of your appointment. Only one person is required to be in attendance for the issuing of the licence.
  4. Licenses are issued in person at the customer service counter, second floor at city hall. It will take 10 to 15 minutes to issue your licence.
  5. The fee is $150. We accept cash or debit.

Two pieces of government-issued identification must be provided for both individuals. Expired or photocopied identification is not acceptable.

  1. Original government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates (a baptismal certificate is not acceptable) or a valid passport.
  2. In addition to the birth certificate or passport, the second piece of government-issued photo ID, such as:
  • Valid driver’s licence
  • Valid passport
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Valid Ontario photo card
  • Canadian citizenship card

A certified translator must translate documents in a language other than English or French.

If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or court-certified copy (not photocopies) of the certificate of divorce, the final decree, or the final judgement must be presented with the completed application.

If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Ontario government needs to validate these documents, which could take four weeks or longer to complete. If this is the case, you will need to send the following documents to Service Ontario. 

  • Completed and signed marriage licence application form
  • Statement of sole responsibility for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
  • A legal opinion letter from an Ontario lawyer addressed both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario. A sample legal opinion letter can be obtained from the Registrar General’s Office by calling 1-807-343-7492 or toll-free in Ontario at 1-800-461-2156. A sample letter will be faxed to your lawyer upon the lawyer’s request.
  • An original or court-certified copy of a divorce decree or annulment in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator. 

Please mail these documents directly to:

Service Ontario
Marriage Office
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6L8

You need to be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario.

Applicants under 18 years old need written consent from both parents. Consent forms are available from the city clerk’s office.

If you are a widow or widower, proof of your former spouse’s death is not required. 

For more information or questions, contact 613-392-2841 or email

Civil ceremonies at Trent Port Marina

Please note that the City of Quinte West is not performing Civil Marriage Services at this time. The Gathering Hall at Trent Port Marina is available to rent for private ceremonies. You will need to obtain your own private Officiant to perform your civil ceremony.

For more information or questions about civil ceremonies, contact 613-392-2841 ext. 4429 or email

Commissioner of oaths

The Commissioner for taking Affidavits Act allows certain city employees to take declarations and administer oaths. This is not the same as a notary public. A commissioner only has the authority to administer oaths and take affidavits. 

For more information about the commissioner of oath and notary public, visit the Ministry of Attorney General website. 

See below for the current City of Quinte West fees for administering Oaths / Affidavits / Declarations. We accept cash or debit. 

Application typeFees
Administering Oaths/Affidavits/Declarations (Residents)$ 10
Administering Oaths/Affidavits/Declarations (Non-Residents)$ 15
Administering Oaths/Affidavits/Declarations for Pension/Government Documents for ResidentsNo Charge

For us to commission a document, you must:

  • Bring two-piece of current government-issued photo identification with a signature on it.
  • Sign documents in the presence of the commissioner.
  • Understand that the commissioner has the right to refuse commissioning services of any document upon meeting their specification.
  • Amendment to Birth/Death/Marriage Certificate
  • Delayed statement of live birth
  • Immunization exemption forms
  • Domestic and foreign pension documents, verification/proof of life
  • A statutory declaration by a person of change of sex designation
  • Canadian citizenship form(s)
  • Statutory declaration of lost identification must include the police report number.
  • Sworn statement for the transfer of a used motor vehicle in the province of Ontario
  • Statements for statutory declaration for Ontario Students Assistance Program (OSAP) of common-law status and supporting children 
  • Affidavit of unregistered vehicles such as boards, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers, etc.
  • Specific City departmental applications (i.e. Planning)
  • Notary public documents
  • Certified true copies
  • Estate settlement documents, wills, certificate of appointment of estate trustee without a will
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation agreements
  • Litigation guardian affidavit
  • Power of attorney
  • Custody document
  • Documents involving debts such as bankruptcy
  • Real estate-related documents
  • Court, legal or civil issue related documents
  • Statement of arrears
  • Ontario mortgage corporation documents
  • Travel documents  (i.e. Children cross-province, border)

If you are unsure as to whether the City can commission a particular document, please give us a call at 613-392-2841 or scan and email the document to Unfortunately, we cannot make a final determination about whether we are able to commission a specific document until we’ve seen it in person. 

Please note that we are unable to commission any documents related to COVID-19 vaccination. 

Last Updated: 10 months ago

What Are You Looking For?

You can use the smart search field below to find anything on the site from pages, events, documents and more. Simply start typing and the search will suggest possible results for you.