You do not require a permit to build a fence on your property. You should ensure that you get locates for any utilities and/or easements before installing a fence. Property owners are advised to consult with legal counsel regarding the location of property lines and any issues with maintenance access. Fences are not permitted within city road allowances.
Section 4.8 of the comprehensive zoning bylaw establishes height limits for fences as follows:
- Maximum 1.8 m (6 ft.) in residential, rural, agricultural, environmental protection, development, community facility and open space zones.
- Maximum 0.8 m (2.6 ft.) is required in residential zones in front or exterior side yards.
- Maximum fence height of 3 metres in commercial or industrial zones.
- All fences are required not to obstruct the vision of drivers per site triangle provisions.
Download a sample illustration of a fence on an interior lot.
Download a sample illustration of a fence on a corner lot.
There is no permit required to install a swimming pool; however, there are setback and location restrictions you need to be aware of. Pools cannot be installed over an easement or right of way. You should always consult with the Building department regarding permit requirements for pool decks.
Section 4.34 of the comprehensive zoning bylaw establishes setback and location requirements for swimming pools and pool pumps, filters and heaters as follows:
- There must be 1.5 m (4.9 ft.) between the pool and a dwelling.
- An outdoor swimming pool is only permitted in a rear or interior side yard with a minimum setback of 1.5 m (4.9 ft.).
- Water circulating or treatment equipment such as pumps, filters and heaters must be a minimum of 3 m (9.8 ft.) from the side or rear lot lines.
Download a sample illustration of the pool and accessory equipment placement on a residential lot.