Thank you for your interest in working with the City of Quinte West. We value a diverse workforce and seek to attract and retain individuals who will work well together to sustain our vibrant and caring community.
View the list of current opportunities and apply online below.
Seasonal, summer student and crossing guard positions
Are you looking for a summer job? Learn about the public sector and contribute to your community with a job at the City of Quinte West! The City hires post-secondary students in a variety of teams, including parks, roads, tourism, water, engineering and Trent Port Marina.
Why work for the City
- Gain experience for future full-time employment
- Fun, challenging and rewarding work
- Make new friends
- Gain leadership and other skills
- Build skills related to your schooling and learning goals
- Make a difference in your community
What you need to know
- Summer student positions are usually posted at the end of December and interviews usually take place in February.
- Summer student positions typically run from May to August, unless otherwise indicated. Although the start date generally does not work for high school students’ schedules, they are still encouraged to apply should they be interested and available during that time frame or should an opening become available in July or August.
- We typically hire students in our arenas during the fall/winter season. These positions are usually posted in August.
The City of Quinte West typically hires seasonal positions for the summer and winter seasons.
The winter season runs from December to March. Winter seasonal positions include equipment operators and roads labourers. Positions are usually posted in November.
The summer season runs from April to October. Summer seasonal positions include parks labourers, roads labourers, communications assistants, tourism ambassadors , water operators and marina attendants. Positions are usually posted in March.
Crossing guards play an essential role in helping our children safely to and from school. Do you want to make a positive impact on your community? Are you looking for part-time hours? Do you like working outside? Become a crossing guard with the City of Quinte West!
What you need to know
- Crossing guards only work when schools are open. Crossing guards get time off when school is out, including weekends, PA days and holidays.
- Daily shifts vary slightly based on location, but generally require the crossing guard to work for approximately one hour in the morning, one hour around lunchtime and one hour at the end of the school day.
- The City also hires casual crossing guards who can fill in on an as needed basis.
- We accept crossing guard applications throughout the year.
- The city of Quinte West is a natural attraction with lots of waterfronts, trails, etc.
- The people. We have friendly staff who are always willing to help.
- Positive corporate culture.
- Supportive council and senior management.
- Updated facilities throughout the city.
- The City offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to health, dental, pension, EAP supports, and more.
- The health, safety and well-being of our staff is a top priority for the City.
- Training and development opportunities.
- Meaningful work that provides the opportunity to take pride as we actively contribute to our community.
- Work where you live.
– Ryan, Finance
“It is a privilege to love where you work! My City of Quinte West colleagues encourage me to continuously share my thoughts, proposals and offer valuable insight and experience that allows for continous growth. Collaborating with an open-minded team makes all the difference in the workplace.”
– Karen, Corporate Communications
“Working for the City of Quinte West is very rewarding. My colleagues make me feel both professionally and personally supported. I am fortunate enough to work in the City I grew up in, trying to make it a more enjoyable community for all QW residents one event at a time.”
– Nick, Special Events
- All applications must be submitted on our job opportunities page; the City of Quinte West does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Application files should be uploaded as a pdf file.
- Ensure all applications include a resume.
- If you include a cover letter, please ensure resume and cover letter are one file.
- Once you apply online, you will receive an email confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that applicants will receive written correspondence regarding jobs directly to the email address provided in the application process.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email, check the ‘junk’ folder in your email account.
- If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email to schedule an interview. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Interviews are held with an interview panel, either virtually using Google Meet or in-person and will consist of both behavioural and technical questions.
- Personal information is collected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act’s authority and is used to determine potential employment eligibility.
- Under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate an applicant’s individual needs with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call 613-392-2841, ext.1106 or email email@example.com if you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment and selection process.
Under the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate the individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Applicants are asked to make their needs known to human resources before the interview to ensure their accommodated participation in the recruitment and selection process.
Interviews are conducted at City facilities or virtually (using Google Meet) by a panel that includes one or more representative(s) from human resources and the respective department manager/director. The interview panel will provide details on the position, and the candidate will be asked a series of behavioural and technical questions.
When answering behavioural-based interview questions, be sure to provide a specific example from your previous experience, outlining the action you took in the situation and the outcome. Be as specific as possible and focus on the contribution you made.
Sample behavioural interview questions + answers
- Tell me about a time when you worked effectively under pressure.
- What they want to know: If you are being considered for a high-stress job, the interviewer will want to know how well you can work under pressure. Your response should include a real example of how you have effectively dealt with pressure.
- Tell me about a time when you handled a challenging situation? Give an example.
- We want to know: Regardless of your job, things may go wrong, and it will not always be business as usual. With this type of question, the hiring manager wants to know how you will react in a difficult situation. Focus on how you resolved a challenging situation. Consider sharing a step-by-step outline of what you did and why it worked.
- Tell us about a time when you made a mistake. How did you handle it?
- What they want to know: Nobody is perfect, and we all make mistakes. The interviewer is more interested in how you handled the situation rather than the fact that it happened.
- Tell us about a time that required you to set goals.
- We want to know: With this question, the interviewer wants to know how well you plan and set goals for what you want to accomplish. The easiest way to respond is to share examples of successful goal setting.
- Give an example of a goal you reached and tell me how you achieved it.
- We want to know: The hiring manager is interested in learning the steps you take to accomplish your goals.
A resume is a document needed to apply for a job. The resume includes information about your background and qualifications and should communicate the most important, relevant information about you to the employers in a clear, easy-to-read format. Learn more about how to create a resume.
The City of Quinte West values diversity in our workforce and our customers, suppliers, and others. We provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate based on race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, the record of offences, marital status, family status, disability or any other characteristic protected by local law.
The City of Quinte West is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the City of Quinte West to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, a record of offences, sex or sexual orientation. The City of Quinte West will conform to the spirit and the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
The City of Quinte West is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the policy of the City of Quinte West to administer all personnel actions and recruit, hire, train and promote qualified persons based solely on the individual’s performance without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, the record of offences, marital status, family status or disability. The City of Quinte West will offer equal opportunity and treatment to all employees and qualified applicants. It is the responsibility of every employee to comply with this policy. Each director, manager, and supervisor’s responsibility is to recruit and employ qualified personnel in all job classifications without discrimination and to help establish and maintain a work environment free of discrimination or harassment.
We are permitting candidates an opportunity to identify an accommodation/special request for the interview process.
The City of Quinte West welcomes and encourages applications from everyone. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you would like to request a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please advise Human Resources staff when you are selected to participate in the recruitment process.