General building info

Book an inspection and find out what projects don’t require a permit.

When is a building permit required

A building permit is your legal authority to build. If a building permit is required, you must not start construction until the permit has been issued. Work begun without consent can lead to the need for a part or all of the work to be uncovered/exposed, costly delays, increased permit fees or legal action.

  • Construct a new building larger than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.)
  • Renovate, repair or build an addition of any size.  
  • Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building.
  • Install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls.  
  • Finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom.  
  • Make new openings for, or change the size of doors and windows.  
  • Build a deck that is over 0.61m high (2 ft.), or larger than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) or is attached to a building.  
  • Enclose or put a roof over an existing deck.  
  • Excavate a basement or construct a foundation.  
  • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards with plumbing.  
  • Relocate existing or add new plumbing or plumbing fixtures.  
  • Install or modify heating, plumbing, and air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and woodstoves.  
  • Construct a new chimney or repair or reline an existing chimney.  
  • Install a lawn sprinkler system.  
  • Install, alter or repair a private sewage system.  
  • Erect pylon, roof, billboard or fascia signs. (Sign permit application information
  • Install solar panels or a wind turbine that are attached to or supported by a building.  
  • Install or change a backflow preventer.  
  • Install plumbing outside of a building.  
  • Build a retaining wall more than 1 m (3 ft.) high that is not located on a lot for a single-family dwelling.  
  • Install or modify any life safety system such as fire alarms, sprinklers, standpipe, or fixed extinguishing systems.  
  • Erect tents larger than 60m2 (645 sq. , ft) or attached to or closer than 3 m. (10 ft.) to other structures. 
  • When the combined area of tents on a property is greater than 60m2 (645 sq. , ft).
  • Change the use of an existing building.

A building permit is not required to perform the following work; however, you must still comply with the City of Quinte West zoning and other bylaws and all other applicable laws:

  • Build a detached building smaller than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.).  
  • Build a deck under 0.61 m. (2 ft.) high or smaller than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) and not attached to the building.  
  • Replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines.  
  • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards with no plumbing.  
  • Replace existing plumbing fixtures in the same location.  
  • Re-shingle a roof, provided there is no structural work.  
  • Install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
  • Install eavestroughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property.
  • Landscaping and planters provided that drainage is contained on your property. 
  • Build a garden retaining wall located on a lot for a single-family dwelling.  
  • Damp-proof existing basements.  
  • Replace an existing furnace of the same size using the current ductwork.  
  • Paint or decorate.  
  • Fencing.  
  • Electrical (Contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233).  
  • Solar panels or wind turbines with an output of less than 3KW that are not attached to or supported by a building.  
  • Temporary tents smaller than 60m2 (645 sq. ft.) that are not attached to and are farther than 3 m. (10 ft.) from other structures.

If the above list does not include the specifics of your project or you’re uncertain if a permit will be required, please visit the City of Quinte West building division at city hall by emailing or calling 613-392-2841 with the details of your work.

Application process

Before submission, ensure that all necessary and applicable permissions and approvals are met.

A complete application (PDF)  must be submitted with all the required forms, documents and applicable drawings.

Bring the application and two copies of the required documentation to the customer service counter located on the second floor of city hall. We’re open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

We accept cash, debit, or cheque (payable to the City of Quinte West).

After speaking with a representative from the Building Department to determine permit and development costs, send the application and two copies of the required documentation with a cheque payable to the City of Quinte West to:

City of Quinte West
Building Services Department
7 Creswell Dr.
PO Box 490
Trenton, ON  K8V 5R6

Submit payment:

  • By mail – send a cheque payable to the City of Quinte West to:

City of Quinte West
Building Services Department
7 Creswell Dr.
PO Box 490
Trenton, ON  K8V 5R6

Call 613-392-2841, ext. 4904 or email to book an inspection. Inspections cannot be booked through your inspector. 

Provide the following information:

  • Address
  • Permit number
  • Contact information
  • Preferred date of inspection (minimum two business days notice) 
  • Preference of a.m. or p.m. (note that we may not be able to accommodate each requested time of day)

Please note that confirmation will not be provided unless requested.

All new construction is subject to inspection by Quinte West building officials. Buildings must meet the Ontario Building Code’s health and safety provisions, the Building Code Act, the Building By-law, and other applicable laws and standards. 

The Ontario Building Code requires permit holders to give two business days’ notice to the City of Quinte West Building Department by emailing or calling 613-392-2841, ext. 4904, when the building is ready for mandatory inspections at each critical construction stage. 

You must contact the building department to conduct the following required inspections once construction starts. Neglecting these inspections may cause costly delays and time-consuming work stoppages. 

  1. The commencement of construction or demolition 
  2. The readiness to construct the footings before pouring concrete 
  3. The readiness to construct foundation walls that contain reinforcement bars before pouring concrete 
  4. The substantial completion of footings and foundation before backfilling 
  5. The substantial completion of structural framing before insulation 
  6. For plumbing and drainage work, the substantial completion of and testing of: a. Outside water services, sanitary and storm sewer connections before backfilling b. Interior underground storm and sanitary drains before backfilling c. Rough-in of drainage, waste vents and water pipe systems and; d. Finalizing plumbing systems e. Fire service mains 
  7. The substantial completion of insulation, vapour barriers and air barriers before boarding 
  8. The actual completion of roughing-in of heating, ventilation, air-conditioning and air contamination extraction equipment 
  9. The commencement of construction or installation of: 
    1. Masonry fireplaces and chimneys 
    2. Factory-built fireplaces using solid fuel and allied chimneys; and
    3. Solid fuel-burning appliances (wood stoves) and allied chimneys 
  10. The substantial completion of required fire separations and closures and fire protection systems (standpipe, sprinkler, fire alarm, emergency lighting systems) 
  11. The substantial completion of fire access routes 
  12. The substantial completion of interior finishes 
  13. The substantial completion of all construction prior to occupancy 
  14. The substantial completion of exterior cladding and site grading

Last Updated: 2 years ago

What Are You Looking For?

You can use the smart search field below to find anything on the site from pages, events, documents and more. Simply start typing and the search will suggest possible results for you.