On Saturday, Oct. 21, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., community groups, families and individuals are encouraged to visit a local park or other public space to help clean up litter.
How to participate
1. Pick up a supply kit before the event at Quinte West City Hall or the Frankford Municipal Office the week of Oct. 16-20, or bring your own supplies, including trash bags and gloves, the day of the event.
2. Choose a park, roadside or other public space you would like to clean up in your community.
3. Bring your collected items to one of the free drop-off locations in Quinte West:
- Quinte West Operations Centre (177 North Huff Ave.)
- Batawa Community Centre (81 Plant St.)
- Frankford Public Works Yard (96 Wolfe St.)
4. Enjoy a hot dog and refreshment during a bbq lunch hosted by the Kinsmen Club at the Quinte West Operations Centre from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Safety do’s and don’ts
- DO wear appropriate and protective clothing according to the weather. Consider wearing bright colours or a safety vest for greater visibility.
- DO use gloves when picking up litter.
- DO look out for and avoid wild animals, insects and noxious weeds.
- DO NOT pick up any dangerous items such as broken glass or hazardous waste.
- DO NOT pick up litter in unsafe areas such as railway tracks, creeks, riverbanks and roadways.
- DO NOT trespass on private property.